Monday, October 4, 2010

The Adventure in Vermont Continues -- Daytrip to Montreal!


One of the last parts about my stay in Vermont that I'd like to share with you was one of my favorite parts of the whole month -- my solo daytrip to Canada!

Being in Burlington, we were only about a 90 minute drive from Montreal, and though I've been to Canada many times, I'd never seen Montreal and I'd never been to Canada period as an adult, so I knew I had to go! I couldn't get my fellow castmates to commit to a date and time, which bummed me out at first, but then I decided what the hell? I'm a big girl and I don't want to miss out on this opportunity, I'm going solo! Then I remembered that Kelly (AKA Mrs. Flamingo) and her brand new baby lived near Montreal, and I was sold!

Although I've been out of the country dozens of times in my life, this was the first time I'd ever left by myself and, I'll admit, I was a little nervous! I made it through customs fine, though, and I was into Canada!


After a relatively short drive and a little bit of a frazzled time trying to find parking in downtown Montreal, I met up with Kelly and adorable baby Mavi, who slept through most of the time we were together!


Sadly, Kelly and I didn't think to get someone to take our picture together, so you'll just have to take my word for it that she looked beautiful and stylish, and that I was so excited to finally meet her.

She took me to this cute cafe where their specialty is all different kinds of pie. This whole case was filled with different pies:


I settled on some sort of divine chocolate pie, of course. I don't remember what it was called, but it was heavenly:


After lunch, we wandered around the streets of Montreal doing some shopping. Kelly took me into several fabulous stores, one of which was this great vintage store where I wanted to buy everything, but ended up buying this awesome robin's egg blue vintage Italian leather jacket for $35:


I wish I had a better picture of it, but don't worry, you'll be seeing a lot of it around these parts, I'm sure, since I wear it allll the time.

Then after a couple of hours, Kelly and Mavi had to go (sad face!), but I still wanted to see a little bit more of Montreal before I headed back, so I drove over to the vieux port and did some wandering.

I ran across this adorable little street fair with wonderful art vendors in a small alley:


Admired the quaint cobblestone streets...


And found my way into the Notre Dame cathedral, which was absolutely breathtaking. My sad picture doesn't do it justice, I assure you:


At that point, I grabbed a postcard as a souvenir and packed myself back up into the car to head home, as I was getting a little worried about how well my little yorkie was behaving for my host family, who graciously offered to babysit her for the day.

On the way back, the gray skies cleared and I was treated to the most stunning farmland scenery to drive back through:


All in all, I had a fabulous day, and I'm so glad I went, even if it did have to be by myself. I adored Montreal, and I'd love to go back for a weekend someday with Dan because I know there's a ton more to see!

Have you ever taken a trip by yourself? 

3 comments:

  1. Looks like you had a lovely solo trip! I would love to visit Montreal someday, it's great that you took advantage of being so close during your Vermont stay.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That last picture is great! It looks like you had a great time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That jacket is killer. I too want to visit Montreal someday--your pictures make me want to go that much more!

    ReplyDelete