Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Dollars and Sense

First off, let me apologize for the long lag in updating. I've been out of town at a wedding and an anti-wedding for almost two weeks and I have to leave again this evening for wedding #2.

I wanted to share with you one of my favorite depressing Midtown sights, for just a moment, though.

This is the National Debt Counter, located on 6th avenue at 44th street, right across from the Belasco Theatre (where "Passing Strange" is currently playing).

As I stood there to take a picture, our national debt increased by about $200,000. I remember running into this clock back when I was in high school and having it read somewhere in the $70,000-per-family range, so I was stunned to see how high it had risen in just a few years.

What's most ironic about it is that someone spent money (and probably a good chunk of it) to put up a sign to tell us all that we don't have enough money. This serves only to depress me.

And on that happy note, I'm off to be in a wedding!

1 comment: