Thursday, February 4, 2010

How To Have Happy Puppies...

...Or, What To Bake When You're Trying To Lose the Weight You Gained On Your Honeymoon?

The answer: homemade dog cookies!


I had the itch to bake something the other night and the free time and supplies to do it, but have been very carefully watching what I eat for the past couple of weeks in an effort to lose the Newlywed Five (Six? Eight?) that I gained in Greece. My answer to this dilemma was to bake something for my doggies to enjoy!

I used a simple recipe and made cut-out cookies from most of the dough with whatever dog-themed cookie cutters I had on hand -- a dog bone, a sock, and a tree, I think. Random, I know. With the rest of the batter, I cut little tiny squares up and baked them into Yorkie puppy-sized treats. I don't have any pictures of those because they're not nearly as appetizing to look at, but my little Stella has a pretty little tummy because she clocks in at just about 4 pounds, so the bigger treats weren't an option for her.

My dogs have been totally digging them (as have our overnight boarders!), plus it's way most cost-effective to make your own treats. This recipe made a huuuuge jar full of dog cookies and hardly cost anything to make, plus it really didn't take a whole lot of time. Next time, I might try to find some teeny tiny cookie cutters so I can make cute treats for the little doggies, too.

Would you ever consider making homemade treats for your pups? Have any recipes to share?

No comments:

Post a Comment