Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Signs of the Recession Part 1


I've decided to start a little ongoing series entitled, "Signs of the Recession" because I've encountered many images that so perfectly capture the spirit of the times. For now, I'll start with actual signage, but I may branch out later to other images, so stay tuned.

To start with, I've chosen this quite poorly-photographed, but perfectly exemplary image you see here.

This was a sign posted on the outside of a dry cleaning establishment on E 72nd st and it reads, "If you are unemployed and need an outfit cleaned for an interview, we will do it free of charge." 

I thought this was both awfully magnamimous and also such a powerful example of how deeply the troubles of the economy are hurting the city. It really made me stop and think and so I was compelled to share it with all of you. Hopefully, you're all doing okay and are gainfully employed, but for those of you who are on the job interview circuit, this place is on 72nd street between 1st and 2nd.

No comments:

Post a Comment