Monday, August 25, 2008

This is Old New York, alright

Dan and I decided to use his day off this week to take a trip we've been meaning to take pretty much since we started dating. Our visit to Coney Island was preceded by a detour to IKEA Brooklyn to return some stuff we didn't end up needing for the massive bookcase/storage unit we assembled. Refund: $200. Sweet. On a side note, taking the free ferry is by far an easier and more exciting way to get there. The shuttle bus sucks.

Onwards to Coney Island. We stopped by the original Nathan's and grabbed some hot dogs to enjoy on the beach. 


We walked by lots of chintzy shops and the famed "Beer Island," to which we saw a no less than seventy-year-old man kneel down and exclaim that he had found heaven early.

The boardwalk was fun and reminiscent of oldtimey New York. I was disturbed by seeing in person the "Shoot the Freak" game that I had read about in the Times.

The beach was pretty dirty, but it was so nice to be out in the breeze. The water was shockingly cold.



I posed for my glamour shot with the ferris wheel in the background. If I wasn't so pale, I wouldn't have blended in with the sand so well. But everyone loves an itsy bitsy teeny weeny yellow polka dot bikini!



All in all, it was a fun time. Although, it was a pretty long subway ride! We'd still go back.

No comments:

Post a Comment