Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Non-cookie cutter cookie cutters

As some of you may know, I have a strong affinity for cookie baking. Since I acquired my own New York-sized (read: tiny, but adequate) kitchen in May, I have successfully conquered eight different cookie recipes.

One of my favorites, though, is the sugar cookie recipe that my mom has been using since I can remember. They're delicious and work for any occasion, provided you have the right cookie cutters and enough frosting/icing/sprinkles to make them festive.

One of the things I realized when I went to go make these cookies, however, is that interesting cookie cutters don't just materialize in your kitchen drawers, sad to say. And on my move-in shopping list, they had somehow been left off. We wound up with bath mats, a mattress, pots and pans, vacuum cleaner bags, etc., but cookie cutters didn't quite make the list. To further complicate matters, I discovered that I didn't even know where to shop for cookie cutters in the anti-suburban/anti-Walmart landscape that is New York City. I even asked a few online forums where to go and I didn't get much in the way of a satisfying answer.

What I found out today is that, like everything else in Manhattan, you shop for cookie cutters at a specialty store. I was walking back to the 8th street/NYU subway stop after rehearsal this morning and I strolled right by a kitchen store that has become my new favorite place to shop.

It's called Broadway Panhandler and it's at 65 East 8th street. Not only does it have nifty kitchen gadgets and cute tea sets, but it has a whole wall of interesting and unique cookie cutters for $1.25 a piece. Check out this selection:


I didn't buy any of the usual cookie cutter suspects, because I'll probably find a pack of 4 Christmas ones at Jack's for a dollar like I did my Halloween ones, but I was able to snag a bunch of cool ones like a wedding dress, a margarita glass, and a teapot. I can't wait to make some cute little sugar cookies for tea now!

No comments:

Post a Comment